Not only is rhubarb a delicious ingredient to use in pies and other desserts, it’s also a welcome flavor in other dishes that will make them sweet and savory. The next time you think about using this tangy spring vegetable in a recipe, try pairing it with other ingredients you may not have considered:
- Add some puckery sweetness to your muffins and scones. You can do this by folding diced rhubarb into the batter or dough.
- Rhubarb is a natural lemony vegetable and tastes delicious with fatty pork or lamb braises. You can add rhubarb to a braise with 15 minutes remaining in cook time in order to prevent the meat from getting mushy. Also try baking it with sugar and herbs to serve along the braise.
- Poach spears of rhubarb by cooking them with cinnamon and vanilla beans. Afterward, dribble some over rice pudding, ricotta cheese or ice cream.
- Ketchup often has too much of a tomato taste than many would prefer. In this instance, use rhubarb for its tangy taste as a ketchup substitute.
- You can cook rhubarb in extra-sweet syrup and strain it. Then add the syrup to sparkling water, Champagne or cocktails to make a rhubarb mojito.
- Create a sweet-and-savory chutney with rhubarb, onion, spices, sugar and vinegar. The chutney will taste delicious as a spread on crackers and cheese.
Other uses for rhubarb
This summertime vegetable can also be used as an appetizer, soup or dessert.
- Create a berry rhubarb compote and pair it with baked brie. It’s a quick recipe and is great as an appetizer.
- Rather than making an entire pound cake, bake pound cake bites using rhubarb and other summer berries. You can top them with powdered sugar for an afternoon snack.
- Everyone loves a summertime turnover, so make a cherry rhubarb turnover for a sweet-meets-tart taste. This is a perfect item for breakfast, brunch or a snack.
- Take a twist on shortcake using blackberries and rhubarb. Not only will this classic satisfy taste buds, it’ll offer a different flavor than a typical shortcake.
- Tarts are popular treats, so make a mini strawberry rhubarb tart for a tasty homemade dish.
- Everything is mini these days, so make mini strawberry rhubarb lattice pies.
- Make the ultimate breakfast with a raspberry and rhubarb parfait. This is a unique use for this summer vegetable and can also be part of a healthy meal.
You can learn more innovative uses for vegetables including rhubarb while taking courses through an online cooking school.